Break out the breath mints because this 5 Minute Green Garlic Dip is completely worth the crazy garlic breath that will proceed after devouring this dip! In fact, I’m totally obsessed with this dip right now and all of its garlic-iness. And all of this garlicky goodness comes from something called a garlic scape.
Have ya’ll ever heard of garlic scapes before? I had never heard of these green stalks until recently when I received a simple text with a picture attached from my dear friend Shasta that said “Oh my. You’ll have to try this. It is incredible!” I knew it was going to be good. Not only is Shasta my dearest friend who I so admire and adore but I am convinced that when it comes to food, and so many other aspects of life, (but especially food!) she is as Anne of Green Gables would say, my “bosom friend.” If you don’t have a bosom foodie friend, I highly suggest finding one. And if you’ve never watched Anne of Green Gables, it’s time. Grab your foodie friend, find the Anne of Green Gables DVD series, and eat this 5 Minute Green Garlic Dip while you watch it.
OK, so about garlic scapes. Come to find out they are the flower bud of the garlic plant. If left unharvested, they will eventually bloom into a flower. However, the bud is commonly cut off before flowering so the garlic plant will divert its strength and energy to producing a plump bulb. Garlic scapes come into season in the late spring and early summer, and can be bought by the bunch at your local farmer’s market or at some grocery stores. So now is the time to go get some!
After doing some Google research on garlic scapes, I found that most commonly they are used to make pesto. However, I often get sidetracked with recipes and decided to turn my garlic scapes into a dip. And now I can’t stop eating it. And the fact that it literally takes me no more than 5 minutes to whip up a batch of this dip might become problematic only because people will begin to wonder why I always smell like garlic. But if we all embraced this dip together, then that wouldn’t be a problem, right? Right!
I really think we should rally around this dip you guys. Not just because it’s tasty, which is very important, but because it’s healthy too. Let’s break it down:
- Scapes contain a decent amount of protein, vitamin C, and calcium. They are high in antioxidants, may protect against osteoarthritis, and can protect the liver and kidneys against oxidative stress. Scapes are also known to boost your immune system and reduce inflammation.
- Cannellini beans are also a goldmine of antioxidants and are considered the lowest of all beans on the glycemic index. They also have a high molybdenum content (sorry for the big nutritional word). Molybdenum plays a vital role in the detoxification process of the body.
- Pistachios are awesome in that just a one-ounce serving contains more than 10% of the daily value of dietary fiber, vitamin B-6, thiamin, phosphorus, and copper. That’s more than a 1/2 cup of broccoli. They also have as much potassium as half a large banana. And if you’ve been following along with me on this blog you know I’m very excited about that (see Favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe).
With tastiness and health combined, this dip is a serious win-win!
So let’s do this! Get out your food processor and put in your garlic scapes, some pistachios, white beans, fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Let your food processor do it’s magic while you slowly pour in the olive oil to get that to creamy dip texture.
And then grab some tasty crackers, chips, raw veggies, or maybe just a spoon as your transportation device to insert this green garlicky goodness into your mouth. If you decide to hoard this dip and keep it to yourself, just be sure to bring along your breath mints. Otherwise, your breath will give you away.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a picture #passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see what you’ve made!
Also, have you noticed the little orange square button at the bottom ⤵️ of each post with the word “yum” inside of it? In case you have yet to hear of Yummly, it is a free online recipe site as well as a smartphone app that provides an easy way to view and save recipes. It’s like a virtual recipe box where you can store and upload your own recipes and save other recipes from your favorite bloggers and other foodie websites. Pretty cool, huh? No more printing off recipes only to have them get lost, hidden in a thick recipe binder, or ruined by food while cooking. Yummly will keep track of all your favorite recipes in one spot! Just press on the “yum” button below to get started on your own virtual recipe box!
5 Minute Green Garlic Dip
A healthy, creamy, garlicky dip that can be made in less than 5 minutes! Perfect for snacking with crackers, chips, or raw veggies.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: about 2 cups
- In a food processor, process garlic scapes, lemon juice, pistachios, cannellini beans, and salt until processed to a rough purée.
- With motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through feed tube and process until fairly smooth.
- Serve with your favorite dipping food! (I have particularly been enjoying this dip with these baked crispy sea-salt crackers.)