Stop. And. Stare. At my favorite chocolate chip chia banana bread.
It is so good friends. So good that my family ate it ALL before I even had a chance to post this. Less than 24 hours and the WHOLE loaf was gone! I may have had a part to play in that. But be prepared. You may need to make a double batch and hide one loaf for yourself where no one can find it. (Just remember to wipe the chocolate off your face before exiting your secret chocolate chip chia banana bread hiding place).
How I can even claim this banana bread to be so tasty honestly surprises me. I actually have a DEEP dislike for bananas. The taste. The smell. It makes me crinkle up my face with deep dislike just thinking about it. You will never see me eating just a plain ole banana or blending one into a smoothie. Ugh. I know, I know… I can already hear the virtual blogging masses saying “What?! How can you not like bananas?!” I dunno. It’s just the way it is. This will most likely be the only banana laden recipe you will ever see from me on this blog. And it is SO GOOD!
Not only is it good, it has good stuff in it. As in the healthy kind of good stuff. Bananas offer up loads of potassium, fiber, vitamin C and B6 supporting heart health and also fights the formation of free radicals known to combat cancer. Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which help to raise HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol that helps to promote against heart attack and stroke). And my favorite part of all…dark chocolate! Yummm…Besides the fact that dark chocolate is my most fave thing in the world (well, besides family, friends, etc… you know what I mean right?) it contains awesome health benefits too like helping to lower blood pressure and acting as a potent antioxidant. Score for dark chocolate! ???? And I haven’t even touched on the benefits of cinnamon, coconut oil, walnuts (considered a superfood!), and unsweetened apple sauce, all of which are packed into this awesome loaf of yum.
So what are you waiting for! Get out your mixer and your overly ripe brown spotted bananas and get baking!
Then as the 45 minute bake time winds down watch as people slowly begin gathering, as if by some magnetic force, in to your kitchen ready to inhale this tastiness. Just make sure they are all deeply absorbed and enjoying their slice of banana bread before you pull the second loaf out from the oven to go and hide it.
Moist, soft and loaded with healthy ingredients. This chocolate chip chia banana bread is a delicious alternative to your traditional banana bread.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 bananas, mashed well with a fork
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or oil well with coconut oil.
- Using a mixer beat the eggs and coconut sugar on high for 7 or 8 minutes until the mixture is thick and light in color (see picture in post).
- Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- When the egg mixture is ready, turn the mixer to a low setting and add in the following order: vanilla extract, coconut oil, applesauce and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients, chocolate, and walnuts mixing gently until everything incorporates.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf pan. Sprinkle top with chia seeds and chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by the brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!