Apples and pears harmonize with cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar in a buttery, flaky, gluten free galette crust and then topped off with pecan streusel.
- 1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup gf old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour (or you can use regular all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
Galette Dough (make two separate batches of dough for 8 galettes)
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour (or you can use regular all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup frozen unsalted butter, grated (I just use my cheese grater)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs ice cold water
- 2 large Honeycrisp apples, peeled, sliced, and cored (about 2 1/2 cups) *see notes below
- 2 Bartlet pears, peeled, sliced, and cored (about 2 1/2 cups) *see notes below
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbs Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour (or you can use regular all-purpose flour)
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, combine pecans, oats, brown sugar, flour, and salt. Add in chopped butter pieces.
- Using your hands, smoosh together most of the mixture to form small streusel sized clumps (see picture in post). Store in the refrigerator while making the galette filling and dough. The topping can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the mixture. With a fork gently mix together until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add the cold water a little bit at a time and stir until the flour is moistened. If the dough seems dry, add only 1 Tbs at a time.
- Gently knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured work surface until it all comes together. Shape the dough into 8 equally sized balls and flatten it into a thick disk.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days.
- As the dough chills, prepare the galette filling. Mix cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and flour in a large bowl. Stir in apples, pears, and lemon juice. Cover tightly and let sit in the refrigerator until dough is ready.
Putting it all together!
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll one dough ball at a time into an approximately 6-7 inch circle.
- Arrange about a 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the galette filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 1-2 inch border all around. Gently fold and overlap the edges of the dough over the filling. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Generously sprinkle pecan streusel over the open center of each galette.
- Bake until the crust and streusel are golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with ice cream on top! Nom nom nom…
Prep time includes time for chilling the dough. Save the apple and pear skins!!! Bake them on a parchment line baking sheet in the oven at 225°F for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to dry them out. Use the dried fruit skins in this recipe for fruit and nut energy bites!
Looking for the nutritional information? I guess I forgot that part… Enjoy your pie! ; )
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American