Naturally creamy and delicious Japanese sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and garlic are steamed and then mashed with butter, sour cream, and milk to create these dreamy mashed potatoes that are the perfect side dish for any holiday gathering.
- 4–5 heaping cups cubed Japanese sweet potatoes (some stores call them Asian yams), peeled and sliced into 1″ pieces
- 4–5 heaping cups cubed butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and sliced into 1″ pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, more to taste
- fresh parsley (optional)
- cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- bacon, chopped (optional)
- Place the sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and chopped garlic in a large steamer pot. Steam for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes and squash are tender. Drain and return them to the pot.
- Add warm milk, butter, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth. Add more warmed milk as needed.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Top with fresh parsley, grated cheddar cheese, or bacon. Or all three!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mashed potatoes, butternut squash, side dish, gluten free, thanksgiving, holiday recipes