Stop. And. Stare. At my favorite chocolate chip chia banana bread.
It is SO good friends. So good that my family ate it ALL before I even had a chance to post this. Less than 24 hours and the WHOLE loaf was gone!
I may have had a part to play in that.
But be prepared. You may need to make a double batch and hide one loaf for yourself where no one can find it. Just remember to wipe the chocolate off your face before exiting your secret chocolate chip chia banana bread hiding place.
I actually have a DEEP dislike for bananas. The taste. The smell. It makes me crinkle up my face with deep dislike just thinking about it. You will never see me eating just a plain ole banana or blending one into a smoothie. Ugh.
I know, I know… I can already hear the virtual blogging masses saying “What?! How can you not like bananas?!”
I dunno. It’s just the way it is. Don’t judge. This will most likely be the only banana laden recipe you will ever see from me on this blog. And it is SO TASTY!
Not only do I totally love this banana bread even though I totally don’t love bananas,
- Bananas offer up loads of potassium, fiber, vitamin C and B6 supporting heart health and also fights the formation of free radicals known to combat cancer.
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which help to raise HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol that helps to promote against heart attack and stroke).
- And my favorite part of all…dark chocolate. Yummms…forever and ever. Besides the fact that dark chocolate is my most fave thing in the world (besides family, friends, etc… you know what I mean right?) dark chocolate contains awesome health benefits like helping to lower blood pressure and acting as a potent antioxidant. Dark chocolate for the win!
And I haven’t even touched on the benefits of cinnamon, coconut oil, walnuts (another superfood), and unsweetened apple sauce, all of which are packed into this awesome loaf of yum.
So what are you waiting for! Get out your stand mixer and your overly ripe brown spotted bananas and get baking!
And then, just as the oven timer is about to go off signaling that banana bread eating bliss is near, be ready as people slowly begin gathering into your kitchen, drawn in by the magnetic force of freshly baked banana bread. Make sure they are all enjoying and deeply absorbed in their slice of bread before you pull the second loaf out from the oven. You know…so you can go and hide it for later. : )Print
Moist, soft and loaded with healthy ingredients. This chocolate chip chia banana bread is a delicious gluten-free alternative to traditional banana bread.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 bananas, mashed well with a fork
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or oil well with coconut oil.
- Using a stand mixer beat the eggs and coconut sugar on high for 7 or 8 minutes until the mixture is thick and light in color (see picture in post).
- Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- When the egg mixture is ready, turn the mixer to a low setting and add in the following order: vanilla extract, coconut oil, applesauce and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients, chocolate, and walnuts mixing gently until everything incorporates.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf pan. Sprinkle top with chia seeds and chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by the brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!