Moist, soft and loaded with healthy ingredients. This chocolate chip chia banana bread is a delicious gluten-free alternative to traditional banana bread.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 bananas, mashed well with a fork
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or oil well with coconut oil.
- Using a stand mixer beat the eggs and coconut sugar on high for 7 or 8 minutes until the mixture is thick and light in color (see picture in post).
- Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- When the egg mixture is ready, turn the mixer to a low setting and add in the following order: vanilla extract, coconut oil, applesauce and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients, chocolate, and walnuts mixing gently until everything incorporates.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf pan. Sprinkle top with chia seeds and chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.