These grilled garlic lemon halloumi & veggie skewers are a basic summertime bbq staple. A no fuss, easy meal that can stand alone or be served alongside grilled chicken, steak, shrimp, or salmon.
- 9 oz. Halloumi cheese, cut into squares about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms (I prefer Baby Bella mushrooms)
- 10 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- Place the Halloumi and all of the veggies into a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss until the Halloumi and veggies are evenly coated with the garlic, seasonings, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes before it’s time to bbq. (I’ve also let it marinate for as long as overnight as well.)
- When you’re ready to bbq, thread the Halloumi and veggies onto skewers. I use metal skewers but bamboo skewers will work fine as well.
- Over a medium heat bbq grill, grill the skewers for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve and marvel over how basic and tasty of a dinner you just made.
After you’ve skewered all of your cheese and veggies, use the extra olive oil, lemon, garlic mixture in the bottom of the bowl as a baste for any meats you may be serving alongside it. Think steak, chicken, shrimp, salmon.