Our favorite Mexican street corn is turned into a tangy, creamy, and slightly spicy corn salad perfect for cookouts, backyard BBQs, or an easy weeknight dinner. This perfect summer side dish is tasty with grilled chicken, steak, or your favorite seafood. Just 15 minutes from start to finish!
Say hello to this sweet, salty, spicy, and deliciously creamy corn salad. It's called Esquites. But if you'd like, you can also call it Mexican Street Corn Salad. And it's going to be your new summer side dish obsession.
🌽 What is Esquites?
It's the cob-less corn on the cob salad-ish version of Elote.
Don't punch me. I'll further explain.
Elote is the Spanish name for a skewered corn on the cob that is grilled and then smothered with mayo, cotija cheese, chili powder, and lime.
This grilled mayo-cheese-chili-lime smothered corn on a stick is a common Mexican street food that will make you want to eat only corn for the rest of your life. But if you prefer to not eat your mayo smothered corn right off the cob then you can also grill the corn, cut it off the cob, and mix it with all of the same ingredients and call it a Mexican Street Corn Salad, or Esquites.
Mexican Street Corn Salad = Esquites = Elote off the cob. Glad we're on the same page now.
Let's talk about the elephant in the room. How does corn smothered in mayo make you feel? Kinda weird? Kinda heeb-ish? Kinda amazing?! Whatever feelings mayo on corn conjures up for you, don't freak out. I've got both the mayo lovers and the mayo eww-ers covered. So may your freak out be one of only joy and corn salad.
🛒 Ingredients & suggestions
- Corn: frozen, canned, or on the cob. Use what you prefer and what's readily available. I have a big bag of frozen sweet corn from Costco that is my current go-to.
- Greek Yogurt OR Mayo: You do you friend. There is no judgment here. Either way is a winner.
- The Cheese: I love feta in this salad, but cotija or queso fresco are also tasty and more traditional if you'd like to be a purist with your Mexican street food. I've also tried soft goat cheese (I was out of feta and had a serious Esquites craving) and it was equally amazing and elevated the creaminess of the salad to a whole other level.
- Red Onion: Adds some crunchy zippy zing.
- Garlic: Always makes everything better.
- Jalapeño: Delivers a kick of heat! Add more or less (or none) if you prefer.
- Cilantro: Commonly used in Latin American dishes but if you can't handle the flavor of cilantro swap it out for some flat-leaf parsley.
- Limes: A MUST. We'll be using both lime zest and lime juice.
- Spices: Cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities see the recipe card at the end of this post.
🔪 How to make this simple, tasty side dish
15 minutes max is really all you'll need, possibly less. The only cooking involved is for the corn itself. We're aiming to get a nice golden char on the corn by either grilling some corn on the cob or sautéing the corn in a skillet. Unless I am cooking something else that needs to be thrown on the grill, I typically go the skillet route. Less time waiting for the grill to heat up means the sooner eating can happen. Priorities man.
While the corn is working on its beautiful golden char, chop up the red onion, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro, and mix together a quick dressing with the greek yogurt (or mayo!), lime, and spices.
Once the corn has finished cooking, it's a quick mix of everything in a large bowl, making sure to add in the cheese for the tasty finale.
🍽 This Mexican Street Corn Salad is perfect with...
Just about anything!
- Serve it alongside some grilled steak or salmon, barbecued chicken, or even grilled shrimp skewers.
- Use it as a dip for chips!
- Or how about Esquites nachos?! YES please.
- Got kiddos to feed? Turn down the heat by omitting the jalapeño (or leave it in for adults) and stuff it into burritos, tacos, or quesadillas.
- Add a few more ingredients and turn it into a quick and easy lunchtime meal or an easy weeknight dinner. I'm thinking chunks of avocado, black beans, and maybe some diced red bell pepper?!
- Topping for a pizza?! Count me in.
Like I said, just about anything.
Make it this weekend and then tell me how much you loved it. And if you are team mayo or team greek yogurt. These are important details I MUST know. ♡
✨ More tasty salad recipes!
💕 Follow along!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? If so, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!Print
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion and are brands/products that I personally use and enjoy. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for supporting Pass Me Some Tasty!