A simple and classic pesto recipe perfect for pasta, on a sandwich, as a pizza sauce, garnish for soups, or paired with grilled meats.
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups packed fresh basil
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 Tbsp Pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pulverize the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor.
- Add basil and a pinch of salt. Pulse until finely minced.
- Add the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino and pulse the food processor a few times.
- Add the olive oil in a thin stream, pulsing the processor until the ingredients have incorporated.
- When storing, place in the smallest airtight container possible and drizzle a little olive oil over the top. After each use, continue to cover the top with a little more olive oil to preserve herbs. Refrigerate for up to a week. Pesto can also be frozen for several months.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
Pesto can be easily adapted to please your specific tastes. So if you prefer it to be nuttier, cheesier, or more garlicky just add a little more of that ingredient.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pesto recipe, basil pesto, pesto genovese, sauce recipes