A simple and classic pesto recipe perfect for pasta, on a sandwich, as a pizza sauce, garnish for soups, or paired with grilled meats.
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups packed basil
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 Tbsp Pecorino cheese, grated
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pulverize the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor.
- Add basil and pinch of salt. Pulse until finely minced.
- Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino.
- With food processor running, add the olive oil in a thin stream just until all ingredients are blended together.
- When storing, place in smallest airtight container possible and drizzle a little olive oil over the top. After each use, continue to cover the top with a little more olive oil to preserve herbs. Refrigerate for up to a week. Pesto can also be frozen for several months.
Pesto can be easily adapted to please your specific tastes. So if you prefer it to be nuttier, cheesier, or more garlicky just add a little more of that ingredient.