The PERFECT heart-healthy salad for picnics, BBQs, or travel! Quinoa, kale, toasted walnuts, juicy apples, and cranberries are tossed in a cider vinaigrette for a super tasty main dish or a delicious side dish. Naturally gluten-free and vegetarian.
Kale Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped kale (I used Redbor Kale, just look for the frilly kale with reddish-purple veins and stem)
- 1 apple, chopped (I like the sweetness of Honeycrisp or Pink Lady apples)
- 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (preferably cranberries sweetened with apple juice versus refined sugar)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit with lid on for 5 more minutes. Then remove lid, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and allow the quinoa to cool to room temperature.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare the cider vinaigrette by placing all the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously until combined.
- Once quinoa has cooled to room temperature, in a large bowl combine quinoa with the chopped kale, chopped apple, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, and cider vinaigrette.
- Marvel at how simple this recipe is.