Acorn squash is roasted until beautifully tender and lightly browned, then drizzled with browned butter and toasted pecans and served over a simple yogurt sauce for the ultimate holiday side dish. It's a simple, stunning dish that will have your dinner guests reaching for seconds.
- Roughly 2 pounds acorn squash
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400ºF.
- Prep the squash: Using a sharp knife slice off the stem end and base of the squash. Stand the acorn squash on one of the cut ends to serve as a stable base. Slice the squash in half, from top to bottom. Scoop out all of the seeds and fibers with a metal spoon (a grapefruit spoon works great this), and cut each squash half into wedges.
- Roast: In a small bowl, add extra virgin olive oil, ground ginger, and maple syrup, and whisk until combined. Place the acorn squash wedges in a pile on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and toss with the maple syrup mixture. Spread the squash out evenly on the baking sheet, and roast for 40 minutes, flipping the squash wedges over halfway through.
- Make the yogurt sauce: Combine plain whole milk yogurt, finely grated lemon zest, minced garlic, a pinch of Kosher salt and black pepper each (or to taste) in a bowl. Set aside.
- Brown the butter: Once the squash has finished roasting, it's time to make the browned butter pecans! Place butter in a light-colored saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt (or to taste). Continually stir the butter just until you notice the milk solids (those are the little specks that form in the bottom of the melted butter) beginning to turn a deep golden brown. Add the pecans and stir quickly to combine. Immediately pour the browned butter and pecans into a bowl to prevent the butter from continuing to cook.
- Arrange and serve: Spread the yogurt sauce on a serving platter, reserving a small amount for drizzling on top of the squash. Arrange the roasted squash wedges on top of the yogurt sauce. Drizzle and spoon the browned butter and pecans over the squash. Sprinkle with fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley. Drizzle the remaining yogurt mixture over the squash. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
To help make slicing into the acorn squash easier, place the whole squash in the microwave to warm up for just a minute or two.
If you wind up with leftover brown buttered pecans, use it as a topping on pancakes or waffles the following morning!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: acorn squash, side dish, yogurt, browned butter, gluten-free recipe