A perfect gluten-free, veggie-centric side dish for any dinner or holiday meal! This Roasted Mashed Garlic Cauliflower is creamy, garlicky, luscious, and SO easy to make!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut up into florets
- 3–4 garlic cloves, peel left on but end trimmed
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to preference
- 2–3 tablespoons unsalted butter (see below for vegan/dairy-free option)
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (see below for vegan/dairy-free option)
Optional Add-Ins & Toppings
- your favorite cheese (cheddar, fontina, parmesan, cream cheese, #allthecheese)
- crumbled bacon
- sour cream
- fresh herbs (thyme, chives, Italian parsley, etc.)
- a squeeze of lemon
- Vegan and/or Dairy-Free Options: In place of the butter and heavy whipping cream, puree the cauliflower with additional olive oil or vegan butter. For a cheesy flavor, add nutritional yeast. For more creaminess, add vegan cream cheese. If you need to thin the consistency of the cauliflower mash add a little unsweetened plain almond milk.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Place cauliflower florets, unpeeled garlic cloves, and sliced onions on a large baking sheet. Drizzle it all with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to your preference, and toss with your fingers until the veggies are evenly coated.
- Arrange the veggies in a flat layer on the baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and you see those tasty browned edges.
- After the veggies have finished roasting, squeeze the garlic out of its peels. Transfer the cauliflower, onions, and garlic to a high-speed blender, or food processor. Add butter and puree. (Another method is to place all of the veggies into a pot and use an immersion blender to puree the cauliflower mash.)
- Then adding one tablespoon heavy whipping cream at a time, continue blending until desired mashed cauliflower lusciousness consistency is reached. Since cauliflower heads range in size, you might not need to use all 3 tablespoons of cream to reach a consistency of mash that suits your preference. Add don’t forget those other optional add-ins!
- If reheating is needed, transfer cauliflower mash to a pot and warm it over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Serves 4!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cauliflower, side dish, gluten-free, keto, mashed cauliflower, roasted cauliflower, low carb side dish