A perfect gluten-free, veggie-centric side dish for any dinner or holiday meal! This Roasted Mashed Garlic Cauliflower is creamy, garlicky, luscious, and SO easy to make!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut up into florets
- 3–4 garlic cloves, peel left on but end trimmed
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to preference
- 2–3 tablespoons unsalted butter*
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream*
Optional Add-Ins & Toppings
- your favorite cheese (cheddar, fontina, parmesan, cream cheese, #allthecheese)
- crumbled bacon
- sour cream
- fresh herbs (thyme, chives, Italian parsley, etc.)
- a squeeze of lemon
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Place cauliflower florets, unpeeled garlic cloves, and sliced onions on a large baking sheet. Drizzle it all with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to your preference, and toss with your fingers until the veggies are evenly coated.
- Arrange the veggies in a flat layer on the baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and you see those tasty browned edges.
- After the veggies have finished roasting, squeeze the garlic out of its peels. Transfer the cauliflower, onions, and garlic to a high-speed blender, or food processor. Add butter and puree. (Another method is to place all of the veggies into a pot and use an immersion blender to puree the cauliflower mash.)
- Then adding one tablespoon heavy whipping cream at a time, continue blending until desired mashed cauliflower lusciousness consistency is reached. Since cauliflower heads range in size, you might not need to use all 3 tablespoons of cream to reach a consistency of mash that suits your preference. Add don’t forget those other optional add-ins!
- If reheating is needed, transfer cauliflower mash to a pot and warm it over medium-low heat until heated through.
Vegan and/or Dairy-Free Options: In place of the butter and heavy whipping cream, puree the cauliflower with additional olive oil or vegan butter. For a cheesy flavor, add nutritional yeast. For more creaminess, add vegan cream cheese. If you need to thin the consistency of the cauliflower mash add a little unsweetened plain almond milk.
Mashed cauliflower can be made up to 3 days in advance. If making ahead store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftovers should also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and can be stored for up to 5 days.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cauliflower, side dish, gluten-free, keto, mashed cauliflower, roasted cauliflower, low carb side dish