A simple 20-minute chicken rice bowl with healthy, basic ingredients and tasty southwest flavors. Perfect for meal prep or an easy weeknight dinner. Make it tonight!
Southwest Chicken Rice Bowls
- 2 cups white or brown rice (I used jasmine rice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast (about 2 large sized), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3/4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles (mild or hot)
- 1 lime, fresh squeezed
- diced avocado
- finely chopped cilantro
- sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- grated cheese (sharp white cheddar is my fave)
- extra lime wedges served on the side
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken, salt, chili powder, cumin, onion, and garlic. Toss to coat chicken and cook for about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet add tomatoes, beans, corn, and green chiles. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Drizzle lime juice over top and remove skillet from heat.
- Assemble bowls by adding cooked rice, southwest chicken mixture, and toppings to each bowl. Give a big stir to combine and enjoy!
Cook time may be altered depending on what kind of rice you use.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southwestern
Keywords: chicken rice bowl, southwest chicken rice bowl, burrito bowl, gluten free, easy dinner recipe