A tasty, heart healthy quinoa salad with a spicy kick! Great as a meal in itself or as a side dish served with grilled shrimp, chicken, or salmon.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- olive oil
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn (even 1 ear of fresh corn on the cob, kernels removed, would work!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper (about 3/4 cup), finely diced
- 1 scallion, diced (use both white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely minced
- avocado for topping
- Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit with lid on for 5 additional minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking sauté the corn (see Note #1 for grilled corn on the cob cooking method). Add a drizzle of olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat. Add corn, salt and pepper. Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently until corn is tender and the kernels begin to brown slightly. Remove corn from heat.
- Add cooked quinoa and sautéed corn to the bowl with salad dressing and toss.
- Add the black beans, red bell pepper, scallion, cilantro, and jalapeño and toss well to combine.
- Top with avocado and additional cilantro, if desired.
- For grilled corn on the cob, heat grill to medium. Remove husks and silk from the ears of corn and place in a large bowl of cold water with 1 tablespoon of salt for about 10 minutes. Remove corn from water and shake off excess. Place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning half-way through or until kernels are tender.
- Nutritional information does not include avocado. It’s up to you how much you would like!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American