A delicious salad that is filled with vegan protein, delicious veggies, and a spicy kick of flavor. Great as a meal in itself or as a side dish. Also tasty with grilled shrimp or chicken added on top.
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper (about 3/4 cup), finely diced
- 1 ear fresh corn, grilled + kernels removed from the cob (see notes below)
- 1 scallion, diced (use both white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely minced
- avocado for topping (optional but it’s really good with it!)
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit with lid on for 5 more minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the quinoa to the dressing and toss.
- Add the black beans, red bell pepper, corn, scallion, cilantro, and jalapeño and toss well to combine.
- Garnish with avocado and additional cilantro, if desired.
For grilled corn, heat grill to medium. Remove husks and silk from the ears of corn and place in a large bowl of cold water with 1 tablespoon of salt for about 10 minutes. Remove corn from water and shake off excess. Place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning half-way through or until kernels are tender.
Another method for tasty “grilled” corn is to cut the corn off the cob and place in a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil and sauté until the kernels begin to brown slightly.
Nutritional information does not include avocado which is up to you with how much you would like to top it with!