Say hello to THE BEST (& EASIEST) Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies! These cookies have chewy, soft centers with a slightly crispy edge and use just 7 ingredients. Includes optional egg-free version.
- 113 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 120 grams (3/4 packed cup) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300 grams (2 1/2 cups) Pamela's Gluten-Free Baking & Pancake Mix (DO NOT substitute with another gluten-free flour)
- 215 grams (1 1/4 cups) chocolate chips such as Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips
- Flaked sea salt such as Maldon for finishing
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together room temperature butter (see notes) and brown sugar on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add egg (see notes for egg-free version) and vanilla and mix at low speed, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally until the ingredients are just mixed.
- Add Pamela's Gluten-Free Baking & Pancake Mix and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Turn off the mixer, remove the bowl from the stand, and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. If you prefer thicker cookies than the cookies I show pictured in this post, keep the dough in the refrigerator for a longer period of time. The longer you allow the dough to chill, the less the cookie will flatten out when baking thereby creating a thicker cookie. It really just depends on your personal cookie thickness preference. If you love flat, crispy cookies, you won't need to chill the dough at all but just make sure that you leave plenty of space between each cookie because they will flatten out a lot!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- With a large cookie scoop (2oz size), scoop even mounds of cookie dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The cookies will spread as they bake so make sure not to place them too closely together. I have room on my baking sheet for 6 cookies.
- Lightly sprinkle the tops of the cookies with flaked sea salt (optional but so good).
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. Remove when the edges are set and beginning to brown. Within the cracks that form in the center of the cookies, they will look undercooked, but the cookies will continue to cook as they cool. If you like gooey, barely cooked centers in your cookies, cook less. If you like crunchier cookies with chewy but not gooey centers, cook longer.
- This is the most difficult part --> Allow the cookies to sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to finish cooling. The rich, toffee-like flavors of the cookie will deepen and become more enhanced if you allow the cookies to cool before eating.
- Have a cold glass of your favorite milk on hand, especially if you're a cookie dunker. Enjoy!
If your butter isn't room temperature: Place refrigerated butter in the microwave for no more than 30 seconds or just until the butter is partially melted. DO NOT fully melt the butter. These cookies will not bake properly if the butter is fully melted but instead will look like super thin pancake cookies.
Don't try this recipe with different flour. I tested this recipe using MANY different gluten-free flour blends. These cookies will taste dramatically different (and most likely taste really gross) if you try to use a different gluten-free flour blend than the one I have suggested.
Egg-free version: The one modification you could make in this recipe that will still produce a really tasty cookie is to swap out the egg for 65 grams (1/4 cup applesauce). The texture and taste will be slightly different, but in my opinion, it is still a really tasty chewy chocolate chip cookie.
Chocolate chip suggestion: Use any type of chocolate chips you prefer. I LOVE Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips because they are larger in size than the typical chocolate chip. In this case, bigger is definitely better.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, gluten-free cookie recipe, gluten-free dessert recipe