This AMAZING Gluten-Free Lasagna requires no noodle pre-boiling! Layered with a hearty, flavorful lasagna sauce, all the good cheeses (ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano), and a gluten-free lasagna noodle that could fool even those who aren't gluten-free. Serious comfort food that is ultra delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb ground mild sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced*
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Additional ingredients needed
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (about 24 slices)
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 10 oz. gluten-free lasagna noodles*
- Make the sauce: Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot and cook ground beef, ground sausage, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in onion, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the ricotta: In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Assemble: Spread 3 cups of the lasagna sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish (see notes). Arrange 1 layer of lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Spread one half of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the noodles. Top with half of the mozzarella cheese slices. Spread 2 cups meat sauce evenly over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmigiano. Repeat layers (noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, sauce) and top with remaining Parmigiano.
- Bake: Cover lasagna with foil (to prevent sticking, slightly crease the foil to create a tent over the lasagna) and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until the lasagna is hot and bubbling, the noodles are tender, and you get those cheesy, crispy lasagna corners! Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
To help my kids with eating the mushrooms in this lasagna I pulsed them in a food processor until they were small enough that when cooked in the sauce they wouldn't really notice them. #momhack
For this recipe, I specifically recommend using either Tinkyada Brown Rice Lasagna or Jovial Gluten-Free Brown Rice Lasagna for both their excellent texture and taste. You can find these two brands in most grocery stores but I have also linked them for you on Amazon.
To avoid your lasagna from bubbling over the sides while baking use an extra-large baking dish that is at least 3 inches deep. The baking dish I use measures 16" x 10.5" x 3.5" and I've never had an issue with my lasagna bubbling over.
If you'd like to make the lasagna ahead of time or would like to freeze it for later, check out this great resource for how to do so.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 503
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 1004.3 mg
- Fat: 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.9 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 27.7 g
- Cholesterol: 110.7 mg
Keywords: lasagna, gluten-free lasagna, dinner, gluten-free, holiday recipe