An Amazing GF Classic Lasagna that requires no noodle pre-boiling! It’s layered with a hearty, flavorful sauce, all the good cheeses (ricotta, mozzarella, parmigiano), and a gluten free lasagna noodle that could fool even those who don’t eat gluten free. Serious comfort food that is ultra delicious!
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb ground mild sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced (I pulsed them in the food processor)
- 1 (28 oz) can Muir Glen crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Muir Glen diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can Muir Glen tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Additional ingredients needed
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs. fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (about 24 slices)
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 10 oz. DeBoles GF Rice Lasagna made w/Brown Rice (DeBoles recently improved their noodle recipe so make sure you are buying the one with whole grain brown rice flour in the ingredients list rather than their older version that lists brown rice extract in the ingredients. Deboles is shipping their improved recipe from Amazon even though the Amazon info has not been updated.)
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot and cook ground beef, ground sausage, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in onion, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- To assemble, spread 3 cups of the lasagna sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange 5 noodles on top of sauce (I arranged 4 lengthwise and then broke one in half and arranged it vertically on the open end). Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with half of mozzarella cheese slices. Spread 2 cups meat sauce evenly over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup parmigiano. Repeat layers (noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, sauce) and top with remaining parmigiano.
- Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, slightly crease the foil to create a tent over the lasagna.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until the lasagna is hot and bubbling, the noodles are tender, and you get those crispy lasagna corners and cheese! Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian