This Lemon Asparagus Pasta is an easy 30-minute meal perfect for any night of the week! Pasta is tossed in a creamy, silky, lemony sauce with sautéed asparagus, shallots, & toasted almonds. It's an over-the-top tasty dinner recipe that everyone will love!
- 12 oz. gluten-free casarecce pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, washed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. soft goat cheese, plain or herbed, plus more for topping
- zest and juice of 1 lemon (about 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook pasta: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente (still firm to the bite but not undercooked), reserving a cup of the pasta water. Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain pasta and set aside.
- Sauté veggies: Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer the asparagus mixture from the skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- Make a roux: To the same skillet used to cook the asparagus, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour to the melted butter and whisk to combine.
- Add liquids to the roux: Begin slowly adding the broth in a steady stream to the roux while whisking continuously, breaking up any clumps of flour. Continuing to whisk, gradually add the heavy cream until the mixture becomes smooth and silky.
- Add cheese and lemon to the sauce: Add goat cheese to the sauce and continue stirring until the goat cheese has completely melted and the sauce is smooth once again. Finally, add lemon zest and lemon juice and stir to combine. Allow the sauce to simmer on low heat for a few minutes just until the sauce thickens to a desired consistency. If the sauce becomes too thick, thin it out by adding some of the reserved pasta water a little bit at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put it all together: Add the cooked pasta and asparagus mixture to the lemony cream sauce and stir to combine. Top with toasted almonds and serve!
Wondering what a roux is? It's simply flour and fat (in this case butter) cooked together and used to thicken sauces.
You may find different spelling variations for this particular shape of pasta. Even between Italian pasta companies, one will spell it "casarecce" while the other spells it "caserecce." Either way, when your mouth takes a bite of this creamy lemon pasta the importance of its spelling will just fade away.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boil, Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: lemon asparagus pasta, dinner recipe, asparagus, gluten-free recipe, creamy lemon pasta