Gluten free pasta is tossed in a creamy, lemony goat cheese sauce with sautéed asparagus & toasted almonds. An easy 30-minute meal perfect for family or guests!
- 12 oz. gluten free casarecce pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. goat cheese, plain or herbed, plus more for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, washed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- zest and juice of 1 lemon (about 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions, reserving a cup of the pasta water once the pasta has finished cooking. Then drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and shallots and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer asparagus mixture from skillet and set aside.
- To the same skillet used to cook the asparagus, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add flour and whisk to combine. Once combined slowly add broth in a steady stream while whisking constantly. Continuing to whisk, gradually add the heavy cream until the mixture becomes smooth. Once smooth add goat cheese and mix to combine until the goat cheese has completely melted and the sauce is smooth once again. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow the sauce to simmer and thicken on low heat.
- When the sauce has reached desired thickness, add the lemon zest and lemon juice to the sauce and stir to combine.
- To the cooked pasta, add the asparagus mixture, toasted almonds, and lemony cream sauce, tossing to combine. If you prefer your sauce to be thinner, use reserved pasta water a little bit at a time to thin sauce. (Note: This recipe makes approximately 3 cups of the lemony cream sauce which you may or may not want to use all of. So just add sauce to your pasta dish as desired and if you end up with extra you can store it in the refrigerator to be used later for another plate of pasta!)
- Serve immediately. Serve with extra goat cheese, toasted sliced almonds, and black pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
Random Note: The spelling of this particular shape of pasta is up for debate. Even between Italian pasta companies, one will spell it “casarecce” while the other spells it “caserecce.” I don’t know why. It seems that more frequently in the United States it’s spelled with an “a” and since that’s where I live, that’s how I spell it. Either way, when your mouth takes a bite of this creamy lemon pasta the importance of its spelling will just fade away.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boil, Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, dinner, asparagus, gluten free recipe, creamy lemon pasta