Oregon blackberries and Honeycrisp apples are combined and topped with a hazelnut oat topping creating the perfect combination of flavors for this healthier version of a fruit crisp dessert. A perfect dessert for anytime of the year and any type of gathering.
For the topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts (aka filberts)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff!)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
For the filling:
- 5 cups frozen Oregon blackberries or Oregon Marion blackberries (aka Marionberries)
- 3 cups chopped Honeycrisp apples
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix together the topping ingredients.
- In a 9×13″ baking pan combine the chopped apples and frozen blackberries.
- Add the topping in a layer over the blackberries and apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is beautifully crisp and golden.
- Eat…and maybe serve with ice cream or heavy whipping cream which totally negates the healthier part of this recipe but it does provide a really great excuse to splurge! ?