Thinly sliced chicken is dredged in seasoned flour and sautéed in a dreamy lemon butter pan sauce with wine and capers. Then add some gnocchi to this Chicken Piccata for the ultimate tasty comfort food dinner!
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to preference
- 2–3 chicken breasts, cut horizontally in half
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1–12 oz. package gluten-free gnocchi
- fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated (optional)
- Place flour in a shallow bowl and combine with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in the seasoned flour and shake off any excess. Discard the remaining flour.
- Heat light olive oil and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a large pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, cook the chicken for 3 minutes on each side, just until cooked through. Set the chicken aside on a plate when each batch finishes cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Salt the water and then add the gnocchi to the pot and give it a gentle stir. Cook gnocchi for about 2 minutes or until the gnocchi float to the top. Drain and briefly set aside.
- Once all of the chicken has been cooked and removed from the pan, add the remaining 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to the pan. Add the garlic and give it a quick stir.
- Add the chicken broth, white wine, capers, and fresh lemon juice to the pan, giving it another stir and gently scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce and cook an additional 2 minutes. Adding the chicken back into the pan to cook briefly will also allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Add the gnocchi to the pan with the chicken piccata and gently nudge the gnocchi around the pan allowing them to become coated with the pan sauce.
- Turn off and remove pan from heat. Top everything with a sprinkling of finely chopped fresh Italian parsley and finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano (optional, but definitely tasty).
- Serve as-is or with your favorite roasted or sautèed vegetables. See notes below for some ideas. Enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
If your chicken is still rather thick after slicing it horizontally (more than 1/4 inch), place each piece between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound it with a meat mallet until they are the proper thickness.
The piccata sauce is very adaptable to your particular tastes. Prefer not to use wine? Leave it out and replace it with additional chicken broth. Love capers?! Add more in! Not sure about the amount of lemon juice I suggest? Begin with a little and add more in as you see fit.
Want to round out this meal with a side of veggies? This meal is tasty served with sautéed sugar snap peas, roasted broccoli florets, roasted asparagus, wilted spinach, or a simple green salad.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian-American
Keywords: chicken piccata, chicken recipes, dinner recipes, gluten-free recipes, gnocchi, easy dinner