A simple, tasty, and vibrant winter salad that comes together in just 10 minutes! Peppery arugula is balanced with fresh baby spinach and topped with thinly sliced sweet onions, sweet winter citrus, and a super simple homemade vinaigrette.
Hello sunny salad!
Bringing you this VERY simple and vibrant salad to kick off your wintry week! Peppery arugula balanced with fresh spinach and topped with thinly sliced sweet onions, winter citrus, and a VERY simple homemade vinaigrette.
This salad feels like a promise of warmer days to come as I stare out my window at the snow. And it's a promise that big taste can come from the simplest of ingredients.
Is it strange to anyone else that citrus season is at its peak in the dead of winter? Winter citrus seems like such an oxymoron. Bright, brilliant color bursting with sweet juiciness offering up its sunniness just when we begin longing for something to offset the frigid temps of snowstorms and a polar vortex.
I'm ready for summer.
I even wore my flip-flops out recently. Call it premature optimism.
I'm embracing some of the best flavors winter is offering us through this arugula and spinach salad with winter (but summery looking) citrus. Because snow is outside. And flip flops in the snow aren't causing summer to come any faster.
Why you'll love this salad
- It's so dang easy. I questioned whether or not I should even share this recipe with you because it's so ridiculously simple. But then I decided that we all need the occasional reminder that some things in life can be easy.
- Less than 10 ingredients. 4 ingredients for the salad. 5 ingredients for the salad dressing. Yep, very basic.
- Big beautiful sunny taste. That juicy winter citrus combined with the mild, crunchy tang of a thinly sliced sweet onion and a spicy arugula/mild spinach combo is just so...(offers up an Italian chef kiss)
- Perfect for a party. It's tasty and approachable for all preferences. Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Whole30, Paleo...you get my drift.
- No cooking required. Slice the citrus. Slice the onion. A quick mix of basic vinaigrette ingredients. Toss it up with some arugula and spinach. Done.
- It looks pretty. Maybe a weird reason to love a salad but who doesn't like pretty food?! That vibrant winter citrus provides some colorful cheer during the winter blues.
- Bonus: This salad is super healthy too!
Ingredients for Simple Vinaigrette Dressing
So there you have it. Big taste. Simple ingredients. What's not to love?!
Optional salad add-in ideas!
Need a little more flair in your salad?! Try out one of these optional add-in ideas for some extra tastiness!
- sliced avocado
- dried cranberries
- chopped, dried cherries
- pomegranate arils
- soft goat cheese
So how ARRRE you guys holding up this winter?! Especially those of you in the polar vortex region?! I saw that Wisconsin hit a low of minus-31 degrees. Have mercy.
More tasty salad recipes!
- Roasted Beet & Butternut Squash Salad
- Spiralized Cucumber Summer Salad
- Picnic Perfect Kale Quinoa Salad + Cider Vinaigrette
- Green Salad with Grapefruit and Red & Golden Beets + Balsamic Dressing
- Spicy Red Quinoa Salad
- Brussels Sprout & Pancetta Salad with Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
- Three Bean Salad
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion and are brands/products that I personally use and enjoy. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for supporting Pass Me Some Tasty!