Break out the breath mints because this 5 Minute Green Garlic Dip is completely worth the crazy garlic breath that will follow after devouring this dip! This dip is creamy, garlicky, takes only 5 minutes to make, and I'm totally obsessed with it right now.
Meet the garlic scape.
Have ya'll heard of garlic scapes? I had never heard of these green stalks until recently. Shasta, my dearest girlfriend, shot me a picture and a message with the words, "Oh my. You'll have to try this. It is incredible!" I knew it was going to be good.
As Diana is to Anne in Anne of Green Gables, Shasta is my "bosom friend" in life and food. If you don't have a bosom friend in life and all things food, search one out. They are invaluable and bring such joy and richness to life. And if you've never watched Anne of Green Gables, it's time. Grab your friend, binge watch the Anne of Green Gables series, and snack on this 5 Minute Green Garlic Dip. #lifegoals
OK, so about garlic scapes. After doing some research I learned that garlic scapes are the flower bud of the garlic plant. If left unharvested, they will eventually bloom into a flower. However, the bud is commonly cut off before flowering so that the garlic plant will divert its strength and energy to producing a plump bulb of garlic. Garlic scapes come into season in the late spring and early summer, and can be bought by the bunch at your local farmer's market or at some grocery stores. So NOW is the time to go get 'em!
And I can't stop eating this dip. People are beginning to wonder why I always smell like garlic. So I give them this dip. If I eat the dip and they eat the dip and you eat the dip we can all smell like garlic together and the world will be a better place. The End.
We need to rally around this dip you guys. It's not just tasty but it's super nutritious too. Let's break it down:
- Scapes contain a decent amount of protein, vitamin C, and calcium. They are high in antioxidants, may protect against osteoarthritis, and can protect the liver and kidneys against oxidative stress. Scapes are also known to boost your immune system and reduce inflammation.
- Cannellini beans are also a goldmine of antioxidants and are considered the lowest of all beans on the glycemic index. They also have a high molybdenum content (sorry for the big nutritional word). Molybdenum plays a vital role in the detoxification process of the body.
- Pistachios are awesome in that just a one-ounce serving contains more than 10% of the daily value of dietary fiber, vitamin B-6, thiamin, phosphorus, and copper. That's more than a ½ cup of broccoli. They also have as much potassium as half a large banana. And if you've been following along with me you know how I feel about bananas (see Favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe).
With tastiness and health combined, this dip is a serious win-win!
So let's do this! Add garlic scapes, pistachios, white beans, fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of salt to your food processor. While the mixture processes, slowly pour in the olive oil. Just like that, you have a magical, creamy garlic dip waiting to be devoured.
Then grab some tasty crackers, chips, raw veggies, or maybe just a spoon to insert this green garlicky goodness into your mouth. If you decide to be selfish with your dip and wind up eating it all on your own, be sure to have some breath mints handy. Otherwise, your breath will definitely give you away. Trust me.
More tasty appetizer recipes!
- Bruschetta with Mozzarella a simple, classic appetizer that everyone will love
- Smoked Salmon Dip with Dill & Capers a popular crowd pleaser!
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip creamy, tangy, herby and perfect for dipping
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
5-Minute Green Garlic Dip
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: about 2 cups 1x
A healthy, creamy, garlicky dip that can be made in less than 5 minutes! Perfect for snacking with crackers, chips, or raw veggies.
- 5 garlic scapes, chopped into smaller 1-2" pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 (15oz) can organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (also known as white kidney beans)
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, process garlic scapes, lemon juice, pistachios, cannellini beans, and salt until processed to a rough purée.
- With motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil through feed tube and process until fairly smooth.
- Serve with your favorite dipping food! (I have particularly been enjoying this dip with these baked crispy sea-salt crackers.)
- Category: Dip, Snack, Appetizer
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: ⅓ cup
- Saturated Fat:
- Trans Fat:
Keywords: appetizer recipes, chips and dip recipes, gluten-free recipes, garlic, green garlic
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by any brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!
This looks amazing. I hope I can find some scapes!
Thanks Stephanie! I hope you are able to find some too!