A delicious, quick, and easy 30-minute gluten-free creamy pesto pasta topped with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes & parmesan. Perfect for the whole family!
Hey you guys! Remember that homemade pesto from last week!?
It’s back! And serving as the base for this creamy pesto pasta with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes. Here’s the best part (drumroll plz), it takes only 30 minutes to make! That’s like music to my ears. A delicious and satisfying meal that the whole family will enjoy in 30 minutes is a BIG win in my book any night of the week!
This dish is super versatile. Customize it however you need and like. Don’t like chicken? No probs, leave it out! Love tomatoes? Add more! You could even throw in some fresh chopped tomatoes with the sun-dried tomatoes just to create a flavorful tomato-ey party in your mouth. You like your pasta on the extra saucy side? Add more cream and pesto you saucy person!
I don’t know what it is about a creamy pesto pasta dish like this one, but it just makes me want to smile, lean back in my chair, and close my eyes for a moment to savor the tastiness. Do you ever do this when a meal is just so SO good? Or am I the only one? Doubtful.
It’s pure creamy pasta comfort in a bowl. Make this for your next dinner guests and you’ll have a hard time getting them out the door. Either because they ate too much or because they’ll be hoping for seconds (and since it takes less than 30 minutes to cook, you could make more). Be sure to cut them off at some point though. Too much of a good thing can be……well, never mind.
This pasta is also my go-to meal for new parent meal trains (see Note #3 in the recipe card below). I often make this meal for families that have just welcomed a new baby into their lives. I can tell you after having birthed two children of my own, this creamy comforting plate of pasta with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes is where it’s at! There is definitely no shame in enjoying a plate of creamy pasta after all the hard work of labor. Or sleep deprivation.
No shame at all.
Make sure you cook up enough of this creamy pesto pasta so that superstar mama can have a second helping. And don’t forget her other half. Birthing is hard work for them too. Just ask my husband. This meal will definitely be welcomed with a big smile and a hungry appetite (husband nods his head up and down).
Alright pasta lovers, let’s eat.
P.S. Don’t forget to top your pasta off with some freshly grated parmesan. And just when you think you’ve grated enough, grate a little more (for good measure ya know).
More Tasty Pasta Recipes!
- Amazing Gluten-Free Classic Lasagna a popular crowd-pleaser!
- Creamy Lemon Pasta with Asparagus & Toasted Almonds a simple, 30-minute meal
- Date Night Gnocchi creamy, dreamy, and sure to impress
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below and tell me about it! And don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
A delicious, quick, and easy 30-minute gluten free creamy pesto pasta topped with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes & parmesan.
- 10 oz. gluten free penne pasta (see Note #1)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning mix for chicken (see Note #2)
- 3–4 chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup julienned cut sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- ½ cup prepared or homemade basil pesto
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan Reggiano, for serving (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and toss with just enough olive oil to prevent noodles from sticking together while preparing the rest of the dish.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush olive oil on both sides of the chicken. Season with salt, pepper, and chicken seasoning.
- Grill the chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing it.
- Drain the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes and chop into smaller pieces if you prefer.
- Place empty pot used for pasta back on the stove at medium heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes to the pan and saute for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and pesto. Stir until incorporated.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and sliced chicken.
- Serve and top with finely grated parmesan cheese.
- Gluten free penne pasta brands that I enjoy are Jovial Organic Brown Rice Penne Rigate, Delallo Gluten Free Brown Rice Penne Rigate, and Lundberg’s Penne Brown Rice Pasta. I have found that buying my gf pasta in bulk through Amazon is quite a bit more cost effective in comparison to purchasing single boxes in the grocery store, which is why I have linked you to these products selling them in 6 and/or 12 packs. Dried pasta doesn’t spoil and it will eventually be eaten in my household so I prefer to save some dollars where I can by buying the larger quantities through Amazon.
- I use Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning for my all-purpose seasoning mix for the chicken.
- When I prepare this dish to be served later (such as when I’m delivering it to someone on a meal train) I cook the dish the night before but do not stir in the cream and pesto until right before I head out the door to deliver it the following day. Tossing the noodles in the olive oil the night before should prevent them from sticking so that you can easily stir in the cream and pesto at a later time. Waiting until the day that the meal will be served to add the cream and pesto will help prevent the noodles from soaking up too much of the sauce before it is served.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill, Boil
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: gluten free recipe, pasta, pesto pasta, chicken pesto pasta, easy dinner recipe
Who’s hungry for some pasta tonight?!
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by the brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!