A delicious, quick, and easy 30-minute gluten-free creamy pesto pasta topped with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes & parmesan. Perfect for the whole family!
Hey you guys! Remember that homemade pesto from last week!?
It's back! And serving as the base for this creamy pesto pasta with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes. Here's the best part (drumroll plz), it takes only 30 minutes to make! That's like music to my ears. A delicious and satisfying meal that the whole family will enjoy in 30 minutes is a BIG win in my book any night of the week!
This dish is super versatile. Customize it however you need and like. Don't like chicken? No probs, leave it out! Love tomatoes? Add more! You could even throw in some fresh chopped tomatoes with the sun-dried tomatoes just to create a flavorful tomato-ey party in your mouth. You like your pasta on the extra saucy side? Add more cream and pesto you saucy person!
I don't know what it is about a creamy pesto pasta dish like this one, but it just makes me want to smile, lean back in my chair, and close my eyes for a moment to savor the tastiness. Do you ever do this when a meal is just so SO good? Or am I the only one? Doubtful.
It's pure creamy pasta comfort in a bowl. Make this for your next dinner guests and you'll have a hard time getting them out the door. Either because they ate too much or because they'll be hoping for seconds (and since it takes less than 30 minutes to cook, you could make more). Be sure to cut them off at some point though. Too much of a good thing can be......well, never mind.
This pasta is also my go-to meal for new parent meal trains (see Note #3 in the recipe card below). I often make this meal for families that have just welcomed a new baby into their lives. I can tell you after having birthed two children of my own, this creamy comforting plate of pasta with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes is where it's at! There is definitely no shame in enjoying a plate of creamy pasta after all the hard work of labor. Or sleep deprivation.
No shame at all.
Make sure you cook up enough of this creamy pesto pasta so that superstar mama can have a second helping. And don't forget her other half. Birthing is hard work for them too. Just ask my husband. This meal will definitely be welcomed with a big smile and a hungry appetite (husband nods his head up and down).
Alright pasta lovers, let's eat.
P.S. Don't forget to top your pasta off with some freshly grated parmesan. And just when you think you've grated enough, grate a little more (for good measure 😉).
- Cook your pasta 'al dente' (Italian for "to the tooth"). This simply means to cook your pasta just long enough so that it's chewy but still firm. When you return the pasta to the pot to be tossed with the hot creamy pesto sauce the pasta will essentially cook a second time. For 'al dente' pasta I subtract 1 minute from the cooking time listed on the pasta packaging.
- Reserve some of your pasta water. If you feel like your pasta sauce is a little too thick, rather than adding more heavy cream to the sauce which will make it richer, just add a little bit of the starchy pasta water to thin it out while still maintaining its creaminess.
- Preparing this dish in advance: If I'm meal prepping this dish in advance or delivering it to someone at a later time I cook the dish the night before but do not stir in the cream and pesto until right before I'm ready to serve it or right before I head out the door to deliver it. Tossing the noodles in just a little olive oil the night before should prevent them from sticking so that you can easily stir in the cream and pesto at a later time. Waiting until the day that the meal will be served to add the cream and pesto will help prevent the noodles from soaking up too much of the sauce before it is served.
This meal would be great served with a simple green side salad or some roasted vegetables such as yellow squash, zucchini, or broccoli.
Use it in this tomato soup recipe! It would also be delicious on a grilled sandwich, as a sauce on a pizza, or paired with grilled meats or seafood.
Who's hungry for some pasta tonight?!
More Tasty Pasta Recipes!
- One Pot Creamy Cajun Sausage Pasta a luxuriously creamy 30-minute meal with a spicy kick
- Amazing Gluten-Free Classic Lasagna a popular crowd-pleaser!
- Creamy Lemon Pasta with Asparagus & Toasted Almonds a simple, 30-minute meal
- Date Night Gnocchi creamy, dreamy, and sure to impress
- Chicken Piccata with Gnocchi - perfect for date night or a simple weekday supper
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by the brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!