A quick and easy white wine Coq au Vin served over smashed baby red potatoes. A satisfying and extremely tasty dinner perfect for any day of the week! Recipes instructions included for both an Instant Pot and a slow cooker.
Who's ready to INSTANTLY master some French cooking?! Sound too good to be true? Uh huh, yes it does. BIG promises on Pass Me Some Tasty today friends. Coq au Vin Blanc is hitting our dinner plates tonight. Instantly. But not instant like drive-through fast food instant. Instant Pot instant. Let's make Julia Child proud.
Coq au Vin translates to "rooster with wine." Typically red wine is used, but I've traded it out for white. And no rooster here. I'm using boneless skinless chicken thighs. Not that I'm against trying rooster. Have you tried rooster? If so, how does it compare to the standard hen?
I've got a neighbor who has a rooster...If the mornings become a little more quiet than usual, it wasn't me.
I've been on the fence for a while about the Instant Pot. I know, I KNOW. Don't judge. I see all of you Potheads and have heard the shouts of your slightly obsessive love for the Instant Pot. I have my reasons for being cautiously hesitant in joining the craze though.
But I've watched and I've listened to you on Instagram and was shocked when I posted a poll on IG Stories asking who loved their IPs and who thought they were overrated and who wanted to see an Instant Pot recipe on Pass Me Some Tasty. 68% of you said you LUUUVED your Instant Pot while the other 32% said the Instant Pot is overrated and are most likely wishing they had spent their money on a day at the spa. That's not the shocking part. The shocker was that 100% of you said you wanted me to serve up an Instant Pot recipe on PMST despite a third of you saying the Instant Pot is overrated. My only guess is that some of you have buyer's remorse and you are looking for a recipe of redemption.
Consider this Coq au Vin Blanc your redemption.
This recipe may have slightly converted me into a Pothead. (No Mom and Dad. I don't mean it like thaaat.)
- The Instant Pot is a multi-cooker (and not JUST a pressure cooker) which means...
- Less dishes (yay) because...
- We can sauté bits of bacon until crisp (in the Instant Pot)...
- Then brown the chicken thighs to lock in all their juices and flavor (also in the Instant Pot)...
- And then with your eyes closed magically pressure cook the chicken and veggies in a tasty white wine sauce creating tender-fall-off-the-fork chicken ALL.IN.ONE.POT. You don't actually have to close your eyes. But you could. (Even if you want to slow cook this dinner magic you can do that in the Instant Pot too → see #1.)
- It's basically set it and forget it at it's finest. But don't actually forget it. Only forget it for about 22 minutes (10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure + 12 minutes cook time). It might not be the proper French method of cooking, but WHO CARES when it tastes this guuuud! Plus that slurpy white wine gravy-ish sauce is everything. Especially when it's over everything. Including my face.
The hardest part of this dish is deciding what you'd like to serve with the tender chicken, veggies, and slurpy wine gravy sauce. I decided to serve my Coq au Vin Blanc over smashed baby red potatoes that I boiled and then crisped up in the oven with a little Maldon flaked sea salt sprinkled over top. But it would also be super tasty over mashed potatoes, polenta, or pasta. Basically it's screaming comfort food (in French) and would definitely pass for a super tasty holiday dinner.
And if you don't have an Instant Pot, no worries. I've also got you covered with slow cooker instructions so you can come home to comforting, soul satisfying Coq au Vin Blanc after enjoying your afternoon at the spa. (high fives all around)
More tasty dinner recipes!
- Slow Cooker Boneless Beef Ribs in a luxurious pomegranate sauce
- Creamy Pesto Pasta with Chicken & Sun-Dried Tomatoes a 30-minute meal!
- Date Night Gnocchi with a creamy, dreamy alfredo sauce
- Coconut Tomato Curry with Cod & Brown Rice a tasty, easy weeknight dinner
- Chicken Piccata with Gnocchi - perfect for date night or a simple weekday supper
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
That white wine gravy, mmmm...
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion and are brands/products that I personally use and enjoy. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for supporting Pass Me Some Tasty!