With fresh produce and simple ingredients, this Mediterranean Bean Salad is a satisfying and filling salad that should definitely be served at your next outdoor bbq and picnic. Serve with grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp, or simply enjoy as a quick and easy go-to lunch!
Bring on the fresh produce, simple ingredients, and flavors that sing of warmer days with backyard bbqs and picnics with a Mediterranean Bean Salad!
Cuz let's be honest, how many of us have been baking cakes, cookies, and artisanal bread like our existence depends on it. Remember those healthy resolutions we all made back in January? Yeah, me neither.
What day is it anyway? And why is there so much laundry in my house?
So let's get honest. How is it going with alllll of that free time that sheltering in place is purportedly providing for learning 10 languages, doing a full interior DIY home renovation, and cooking your way through Julia Child's 2 Volume Set of Mastering the Art of French Cooking?
Yeah, I'm with you. Let's blame it on the laundry. Or the explosion of dishes in the sink. Or just life, right?
In a weird way my family is kind of (and I say this verrry loosely) settling into this new temporary not-so-normal normal. But easy meals are still a priority. Particularly meals that nutritionally satisfy and provide awesome leftovers like this Mediterranean Bean Salad.
And last I checked, the ingredients for this tasty bean salad haven't succumbed to pandemic buying. There's still a run on chicken breast, yeast, and toilet paper but gosh darn it, at least we can still grab the ingredients to eat this really tasty salad.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's crazy SIMPLE. 15 minutes is all you'll need to prep this salad!
- Healthy and tasty. When something so nutritious also tastes this delicious it's definitely a win-win.
- Whole foods with simple ingredients. Easy to find ingredients that are basic and unprocessed.
- Perfect dish for any potluck or BBQ! This salad is ALWAYS a crowd-pleaser and will pair well with all of your other potluck and BBQ favorites.
- Cannellini Beans: Also known as white kidney beans, but Great Northern beans would work too.
- English Cucumber: You could also use regular cucumber but English cukes tend to be sweeter, have thinner skins, and less seeds.
- Red Bell Pepper: Fresh, crunchy, vibrant, sweet.
- Red Onion: Thinly sliced and just enough to give the salad a little zing.
- Fresh Parsley: But fresh cilantro would be amazing too (except for those of you that just started shouting that it tastes like soap, can we still be friends?)
- Feta: Soft, creamy Mediterranean sheep cheese. Buy feta packed in brine versus already crumbled if you can.
- Lemon Vinaigrette: So easy to make -- a little EVOO, a little white wine vinegar, a big splash of fresh lemon, salt, pepper, and maybe some red pepper flakes. Tasty, easy homemade dressing is the best.
Fresh. Satisfying. Simple ingredients.
Step by step instructions
You ready for this?! 15 minutes is all you'll need.
- Chop (the veggies)
- Crumble (the feta)
- Mix (put everything in a bowl and give it a good toss)
- Drizzle (the lemon vinaigrette)
And that's it! Besides opening two cans of beans, rinsing them, and throwing them in the salad too.
Recipe tips & variations
If you feel like going rogue with your salad try changing it up with these tasty substitutions or optional add-in ideas:
- Switch out the cannellini beans for red kidney beans, black beans, or chickpeas!
- Love olives? Kalamata olives would be perfect.
- Add capers for a little pop of tangy flavor.
- Throw in a handful of halved cherry tomatoes.
- Try adding some cubed avocado (this would be SO tasty).
- Add some fresh spearmint and/or basil for an extra flavor boost.
- Want some extra protein? Try canned tuna or hard-boiled eggs.
So many possibilities. And SO simple, right?!
Yes, yes it is.
This bean salad is a great meal on its own but it's also a wonderful side dish recipe with grilled chicken, fish, shrimp, or burgers!
This salad is best the day is it prepared; however, it will last well in the fridge for 3-5 days making it a great go-to meal prep recipe.
Lunchtime just got tastier friends. Enjoy! ♡
More tasty salad recipes!
- Peach Caprese Salad a sweet, juicy twist on the classic Caprese salad
- Three Bean Salad fresh and flavorful, serve as a side or a main dish
- Potato Salad with Caramelized Onions & Fresh Herbs a classic with an upgrade
- Spicy Red Quinoa Salad a tasty, heart-healthy quinoa salad with a spicy kick!
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion and are brands/products that I personally use and enjoy. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for supporting Pass Me Some Tasty!