A beautiful winter salad with sweet, vibrant persimmons, creamy chunks of avocado, all nestled into a bed of snappy arugula and topped with salty feta, chopped pistachios, and a simple lemon vinaigrette. Simple, tasty, and perfect as a side dish for any meal or holiday gathering. Only 10 minutes to prepare!
Hello gorgeous salad, with sweet, vibrant persimmons, creamy chunks of avocado, all nestled into a bed of snappy arugula and topped with salty feta and chopped pistachios for a bit of unexpected but welcomed crunch.
And don’t forget the so very simple lemon vinaigrette.
I’m crushing so hard on this salad right now.
All the credit for this tasty and simply amazing persimmon arugula salad goes to my friend Becky. Everyone wave and say, “Hiieee Becky!”
Becky casually strolled into a holiday party we were both at recently, subtly placed this salad in the middle of a spread of holiday cookies and sweet party treats, quickly mixed it together like NBD, and then carried on like it was just an ordinary salad.
It was the first dish among all the party food to be COMPLETELY demolished.
A SALAD BEAT OUT THE COOKIES.
Nice try Becky. I’m onto you and your salad.
But luckily for me, and for you, Becky agreed to share her super simple recipe for this winter salad that will knock your fuzzy socks off. She’s really nice like that.
Just when winter hits that point when we begin to pine for the bountiful harvest of summer again, and the daylight hours feel so short and the nights feel soooo looong because the place where I live still hasn’t decided that setting the clocks back an hour is lame sauce (maybe I should move to Hawaii or Arizona…this is turning into the longest sentence evrrrr)…. this salad pulls us through the cold, long, dark, winter nights and shows us that there are some foods that make their debut in the winter that should not be overlooked. Like persimmons.
Are you guys familiar with persimmons?
For no particular reason, persimmons have never really been on my food radar. Until this salad.
Fuyu persimmons (versus Hachiyas persimmons) create the colorful pop and subtle wow-factor in this super simple salad. Fuyus are mildly sweet, resembling something that looks like it could be related to a tomato but with a distinctive four leaf stem on top. This beautiful, winter fruit has suddenly made its way into my foodie heart.
Why this salad had me at hello:
- Simplicity: only 5 ingredients + a super simple vinaigrette (which is also verrry basic with minimal ingredients).
- Tasty combo of flavors: subtle sweetness (persimmon) + creamy & mellow (avocado) + spicy (arugula) + salty (feta) + mellow nuttiness (pistachios) = simply amazing
- Vibrance: Who doesn’t love a beautiful salad?! We eat with our eyes first. The vibrant orange persimmons nestled into a green arugula backdrop and white feta crumblings are not to be brushed off as just another ordinary salad.
Are you ready to jump on this persimmon salad bandwagon with me yet?
Let’s quickly chat about how to make this simply amazing persimmon arugula salad
Step 1: Make the vinaigrette – Add 6 super basic ingredients (good quality extra virgin olive oil, honey, Dijon, lemon juice, salt & pepper) into a mason jar and shake, shake, shake.
Step 2: Put all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. We’re only talking 5 – arugula, persimmons, avocado, pistachios, and feta.
Step 3: Add the lemony vinaigrette to the salad and toss, toss, toss.
If I had a big red Staples easy button I’d slam it so hard right now.
If you’re on the hook to bring a dish to your next holiday gathering with family or friends and want to knock everyone’s fuzzy winter slippers off with some side dish SHAZAAAM! in the form of an unexpectedly tasty and eye-catching salad, this is IT. ♡
More Tasty Salad Recipes!
- Tomato Avocado Zucchini Salad a simple and healthy spiralized salad
- Brussels Sprout & Pancetta Salad with chili lime vinaigrette
- Picnic Perfect Kale Quinoa Salad perfect for potlucks, BBQs, or as an easy go-to meal when traveling!
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below and tell me about it! And don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
A beautiful winter salad with sweet, vibrant persimmons, creamy chunks of avocado, all nestled into a bed of snappy arugula and topped with salty feta, chopped pistachios, and a simple lemon vinaigrette. Simple, tasty, and perfect as a side dish for any meal or holiday gathering.
Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper (or to taste)
Persimmon Arugula Salad
- 5 oz. arugula (aboout 5 packed cups)
- 2 Fuyu persimmons, stemmed, quartered, seeded if necessary, then thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, pitted & diced
- ½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 oz. feta, crumbled
- Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
- Place all of the ingredients in a small mason jar, screw the lid on tight, and shake vigoriously to emulsify.
Persimmon Arugula Salad
- Place all of the ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss to combine (see notes).
- Serve immediately.
If the salad isn’t going to be served immediately, wait to add the vinaigrette to the salad until serving time. This will prevent the arugula from becoming wilted.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: side salad, arugula salad, persimmon salad, holiday side dish, holiday salad
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion and are brands/products that I personally use and enjoy. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for supporting Pass Me Some Tasty!