This Smooth & Creamy Hummus takes just 5 minutes to make! Serve with pita, crackers, or veggies for a tasty appetizer. This dip is also delicious spread on a sandwich, served with falafel or kofta, or as an addition to a grain bowl. It's a quick and easy dip that everyone will love!
Happy New Year and Helloooo Hummus!
Where to begin with this creamy dip? I mean seriously, there are so many options. Hummus with pita, hummus with crackers, hummus with ALL the veggies, hummus in a wrap or on a sandwich...the list goes on. The New Years' party may be over but this smooth and creamy hummus is here to stay.
Why you'll love this recipe
The best part about this dip (other than eating it), is that it is ridiculously easy to make. 5 minutes is all you'll need.
And yes, you could just as easily pick up a tub of hummus at the grocery store (which I admit I do from time to time) but there is truly some deep satisfaction to be had when you can whip up a bowl of hummus in 5 minutes with just a few ingredients and you know exactly what is going into it.
It's the perfect dip to have on hand for:
- as an accompaniment to some meal-time veggies or grilled meats
- Chickpeas - Also known as garbanzo beans, these beans are the foundation of this delicious dip. I typically used canned chickpeas since I always have them handy in my pantry for when I want to quickly make some hummus but you could also cook dried chickpeas, making sure to soak them in advance, and then boiling them until they become soft.
- Tahini - A creamy paste made from ground sesame seeds lending creaminess and nuttiness to the hummus.
- Garlic - I use one garlic clove in my hummus recipe but you can add as much or as little garlic as you would like. Roasted garlic would also be super tasty!
- Sour Cream - Sour cream is my secret ingredient for making awesome hummus. It's not traditionally used in this Middle Eastern and Mediterranean inspired dip but I feel like it takes regular hummus from 'yum' to 'AMAZING'! If you prefer a lower calorie option, switch out the sour cream for some Greek yogurt. Either way, it will be delicious!
- Fresh Lemon Juice - Adds a little zing to the hummus and is a key ingredient to really great hummus. I highly recommend using freshly squeezed lemon over the bottled lemon juice.
Step by step instructions
Step 1: Place all of the hummus ingredients into a food processor or a blender.
Step 2: Blend until smooth and creamy!
- Fresh lemon juice ALWAYS! I know it can be tempting to buy bottled lemon juice but fresh squeezed lemon juice will always make any recipe that calls for it taste SO much better, especially in this hummus. This is an excellent lemon juicer if you are in the market for one.
- Let the food processor run a while. Allowing it to run for several minutes will help to achieve that smooth and creamy hummus that we are going for!
- I love thick and creamy hummus but if you'd like to thin yours out a bit, reserve some of the chickpea liquid from the can and add a little bit at a time while the food processor is running. You can also slowly add a little hot water to the hummus while the processor is running to thin it out as a second option.
Every now and then I run across a hummus recipe declaring that smooth and creamy hummus can only be possible if you remove the outside peel of each and every chickpea. Ummm, no thanks. I did try it once just to see if the trouble of peeling every chickpea was worth the hype and I personally didn't think there was a noticeable difference to warrant shelling all of those chickpeas. But you do you babe.
There are so many options! Enjoy it with gluten-free pita, falafel, chips, crackers, apple slices, carrots, cauliflower, celery, snap peas, broccoli, bell peppers. Slather it on a sandwich or wrap. Thin it out and drizzle it on a salad, roasted veggies, or grilled meats.
Chickpeas, which take front and center stage in this dip, are packed with protein, fiber, and the good-for-you type of carbs. Plus, you can’t ignore the awesome health benefits found in tahini, garlic, fresh lemon, and olive oil. And if you prefer a lower calorie option, switch out the sour cream for Greek yogurt. However, as is the case with any food, balance and moderation are always important for maintaining proper health and wellness.
Smooth and creamy hummus, perfect for a crowd and perfect for your own snack-time cravings.
More tasty dip recipes!
- 5-Minute Green Garlic Dip if you love garlic, you'll love this dip
- 5-Minute Peanut Sauce perfect with spring rolls, grilled meats, or veggies
- Smoked Salmon Dip with Dill & Capers perfect for any party or potluck
- Bacon Jam may sound strange but it's SO tasty!
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip creamy, tangy, herby and perfect for dipping
Did You Make This Recipe?!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
Smooth & Creamy Hummus
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
This smooth and creamy hummus takes just 5 minutes to make! Serve with pita, crackers, or veggies for a tasty appetizer. Also delicious served on a sandwich, in a wrap, or with falafel. It's a quick dip that everyone will love!
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 medium-sized garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of paprika
- cilantro, parsley, a dash of paprika or sumac, or additional chickpeas to garnish (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Blend or puree until very smooth. While the hummus is processing, you can add in a little bit more olive oil (also see notes below) to help achieve a super creamy texture.
- Serve with pita, crackers, chips, veggies, or sandwiches. Enjoy!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use or recommend.
This hummus is very adaptable to your taste preferences. Like it really garlicky? Add a second clove of garlic! Enjoy the slightly tart intensity of sun-dried tomatoes? Add them in! Make it green by adding fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, parsley, or even a dollop of pesto.
If you prefer a less thick hummus, you can thin it out by slowly adding either hot water or reserved chickpea liquid from the can a little bit at a time while the food processor is running.
- Category: Dip, Snack, Appetizer
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Greek
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: hummus recipe, appetizer recipes, snack recipes, gluten-free recipes, dip recipes
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by the brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!
Yum! Wanted to make some today! This is delicious!
My all time favorite hummus recipe - made or store bought! I love how easy it is to make, and yummy!
This really looks creamy! So yummy and delicious! I love that you use sour cream, I never even thought of that in a hummus. Sour cream is such a wonderful ingredient and totally underused.
Thanks Julia! I agree, sour cream is wonderful. It's so good in the hummus but would it be bad if I eat the occasional spoonful of it too? 😉
We loved it! Made 4 times...turns out awesome each time. Went to work and was totally consumed. Easy, quick, and nice flavor.
This hummus recipe sounds awesome! Going to make some for our Super Bowl party...can't wait to try it!
Yes, that was tasty! More please!