It's amazing what can be made with just bacon, onions, and bourbon. This bacon jam is a multipurpose flavor explosion! Serve it on your next burger, pizza, stirred into roasted brussels sprouts, in a grilled cheese sandwich, or alongside a cheese board as an appetizer. The options might just be endless.
Will wonders never cease?!
End of post.
First, I NEED to tell you that it's BOURBON Bacon Jam. It's bacon and sweet onions turned into a crazy tasty jam concoction made with Bourbon. I mean caaaa'mon. Let's just pause and rest on that. And in it. Just shove it in my mouth already.
Did I ever tell you guys that a while back I got an email from a website telling me that I had been selected as 'Healthy Blogger To Follow'?! And I was like, 'Wow, thanks so much! Wanna celebrate with some bacon jam?!'
No, I didn't say that. I shared this cheesecake with them instead. And then they changed their mind about selecting me and I never heard from them again.
Mostly true story.
I didn't share my cheesecake with them. Or this bacon jam. Their loss.
🛒 Ingredients & suggestions
- Bacon - This is where you need to unleash your inner bacon snob. Buy thick-cut, high-quality bacon. The jam will reward you for this purchase.
- Bourbon - Bourbon with bacon. That should say it all. And if you are curious about whether or not Bourbon is gluten-free scroll through my Bourbon Blackberry Pie post where I briefly discuss the topic.
- Sweet Onions - Also known as Walla Wallas, Vidalias, or Texas Sweet. I prefer sweet onions over any other onion for this jam. But you do you babe.
- Pure Maple Syrup - Some maple sweetness makes the caramelized onions so Mmmm...
- Apple Cider Vinegar - A little acidity to round out the sweetness.
- A dash of cayenne pepper - Don't skip this little dash of heat.
For a full list of ingredients and quantities see the recipe card at the end of this post.
👩🍳 Cook and stir is how it's done...
Bacon jam is not complex to make. It just requires about 30-40 minutes of cooking, stirring, cooking, and stirring. Pull up a bar chair next to your cooking area, read a good book with one hand, and stir with the other. And maybe take a sip of bourbon.
Then when it's finished cooking you'll put it through a quick spin in a food processor and wonder why you've missed out on the glory of bacon jam for so much of your life.
🍽 What should you eat with bacon jam?
The bacon lovers out there (you know who you are) know that everything is better with bacon. Say it with me --> EVERYTHING. Don't try to stump the bacon lovers with a bacon combo that doesn't work. Bacon will always win.
But here are some suggestions just in case you need a little idea nudge:
- Bacon jam grilled cheese sandwich
- Spread a big dollop on your next cheeseburger
- Spoon some on a pizza before you throw it in the oven
- Stir into roasted brussels sprouts
- An amazing topping for deviled eggs
- An upgraded BLT sandwich
- Serve alongside a cheese board with some crusty bread or crackers
- Top off a ribeye steak or a pork tenderloin with a bit of this jam
Let's definitely keep adding to this list. Tell me how you would eat it in the comments below.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Bacon jam stores well in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. When refrigerated some of the bacon fat will turn white and become solid, but once it's brought back to room temperature just give it a quick stir and it will look good as new.
Since bacon jam contains meat it must be canned using a pressure cooker in order to ensure safety. Other canning methods would introduce the risk of botulism. If you're interested in canning this jam please refer to the USDA guidelines for canning meat.
Just in case you were wondering if I should really be worthy of the title 'Healthy Blogger To Follow' I'm leaving you with this picture of roasted brussels sprouts topped with bacon jam.
Brussels sprouts are healthy, onions (which are a major player in this jam) are healthy... so bacon jam roasted brussels sprouts? Sounds healthyish to me. 😏
I won't tell if you decide to just eat a spoonful of it. ♡
✨ More tasty recipes...using bacon!
💕 Follow along!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? If so, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a star rating below! I greatly appreciate your feedback and it is also so helpful for other PMST readers who are thinking about making the recipe. Remember to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!Print
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion and are brands/products that I personally use and enjoy. This post may also contain affiliate links from which I may receive a small commission (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for supporting Pass Me Some Tasty!