With just three magic beans and a handful of simple ingredients, we can make something amazing.
Potlucks and picnics are on the horizon so we need food that is easy, uber-healthy, filling, portable, and BIG on taste. Who’s ready?!
There’s a bright blue sky in the PNW and the temperatures are starting to rise! And it’s AAAWE-SOME! Every year during this spring-but-not-quite-summer time of year I feel myself beginning to get a little giddy. Ready to spend more time outside and to shed the BAJILLION of layers of clothing I wear every time I venture out. I’m ready to explore the great outdoors, to hit up the parks with family and a picnic basket in hand, and to schedule some outdoor potlucks with friends.
If it’s not sunny and warm where you are, get on a plane and come here. Like right now. And HURRY, because I feel like me telling you to come here right now to enjoy the sunniness might jinx it. The weather here can be so sneaky like that.
The Three Beans
As the name suggests, this salad includes three beans that you may or may not be familiar with but are readily available at most grocery stores or online.
- adzuki (reddish purple bean) –> An East Asian bean that is naturally sweet in flavor and help manage insulin receptors in our bodies keeping blood sugar at a normal level. They are packed with essential nutrients such as folic acid and provide high levels of manganese and calcium.
- mung (round, bright green bean) –> A staple in Iran, India and China. Mung beans contain a wealth of vitamins (A,B,C and E) and minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium).
- green lentil (flat, light green bean) –> A bean we are more familiar with here in the United States. Boasting the second-highest ratio of protein per calorie of any legume (after soybeans) and they are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fibers, iron, folate and magnesium.
Round of applause for these awesome and nutritious legumes!
Now let’s amp up the flavor!
Diced cucumber, fresh Italian parsley, green onions, and feta cheese (omit for a vegan dish) are tossed in with the beans. Then finish off this salad magic with a healthy dose of lemon, cumin, and olive oil.
What we are left with is an extremely flavorful, fresh, and filling salad that you can devour as either a main dish or a side to be served with grilled chicken or steak.
Your friends and family will love it. They’ll beg you for the recipe. You’ll become the star of the potluck party. And people everywhere will know your name as the Three Bean Salad Queen. Or something like that.
While the most time consuming part of this recipe is waiting for the beans to cook, it gives ample time and a perfect excuse to research a beautiful local park, to call up your friends, plan that impromptu potluck, and to dust off your crown.
Because the best part about making tasty healthy food (besides eating it) is sharing it with those nearest and dearest.
Happy picnicking friends! ♡Print
A fresh and flavorful Three Bean Salad perfect for outdoor picnics and potlucks! Tasty as a main dish or as a side with grilled chicken or fish.
- 3/4 cup adzuki beans
- 3/4 cup mung beans
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 7 cups water (or chicken stock if you would like to add a little more flavor)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 5 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (between 1–2 lemons depending on size)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- Combine the adzuki beans, mung beans, and water in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add green lentils and continue simmering for an additional 30 minutes
- Drain and rinse beans with cool water.
- In a large bowl combine beans with the rest of the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
More Tasty Salad Recipes!
Mediterranean Bean Salad
A satisfying salad perfect for lunch or outdoor bbqs and picnics. This salad also serves as a tasty side dish with grilled chicken, shrimp, or fish.
Spiralized Cucumber Summer Salad
A cool and refreshing spiralized cucumber salad with mango, avocado, lime, and soft goat cheese. Perfect on a hot summer day for lunch or dinner!
Zucchini Salad with Tomatoes, Basil, & Feta
Raw zucchini is spiralized and tossed with sweet grape tomatoes, fresh basil, creamy feta, and diced avocados. Marinated in a delicious blend of fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and garlic. An easy, healthy, and super tasty salad!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?!
If you make this Bacon Blue Cheese Burger with Roasted Garlic Aioli, I’d love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below and tell me about it! And don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @passmesometasty on Instagram so I can see!
Disclaimer: All brand recommendations are purely my own opinion. I am in no way sponsored by the brands mentioned or compensated by the brand for my recommendations. This post may also contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me to maintain this website. Thank you for your support!